Friday, February 18, 2011

Check Up

Tuesday is my five week check up and I'm hoping for clearance to:

  • Walk w/o crutches or cane.
  • Drive.
  • Bend over to pick up things off the floor (ie break my "precaution" of staying at 90 degree angle...not that I haven't done this already a number of times...just want to be legal about it)
  • Swim.
  • Soak in hot tub.
  • Get massage, even at scar site.
I'll also be reviewing the knee xrays that were taken the week before my hip surgery...will get opinion re: potential effectiveness of the synovial fluid injections and whether they will help with increasing knee pain.

September MRI and scope showed that my right knee has level 3 and level 4 deterioriation/bone on bone action.  It's a 1-4 scale, so I know the knee replacement is on the radar screen, too.  Just wondering what's the next best step and what will actually help.  

Does another six months w/o surgery make a difference?  I guess it does if I can lose some weight and gain more strength in that time.  Trouble is that knee is truly hindering my PT.  Last night when pushing out chair from kitchen table before standing, my knee somehow tweaked and I was at a big 10 on the pain scale...a number I don't remember hitting in a long long time...ugh.

Well, next Tuesday I'll have some more information to help make the decision about timing for knee surgery.

In the meantime, making plans for road trip to Harry Potter in FL in April, followed by a week in Hilton Head with college friend and her family!  Yes!  Hope to ride bikes there and swim...


No comments:

Post a Comment