Sunday, January 30, 2011

Plugging Along

Gee, who knew a week could go by so fast when just staring out the window and trying to stick to 3 rounds of PT/day!

It's been a bumpy week.  So I'm hoping this week my body and routine will be a little steadier.

Last week on Monday the PT introduced resistance to a number of exercises with one of the colored elastic bands.  After the morning set and the afternoon set, I was feeling it.  Sore and stiff, I was swallowing pain pills closer to every 4 hours than my usual 6 hours.

It didn't help that I was expecting my period.  Or that my Uncle Bill's funeral was on Tuesday.  I'd been hoping to go and as Monday evening wore on, I realized I needed to rest.  Solution:  Stay home on Tuesday, let Gary be our family rep at the funeral and lay off resistance and do only a few of the standing, sitting and lying down exercises rather than the full routine.  It worked.

Tuesday was my first day home alone, so I started with a phone call to my friend Kris, then a text from Kathleen who stopped by with coffee, pumpkin muffin, and her collection of Freaks & Geeks DVDs....
Hilarious and too true comedy series of early eighties in high school.  Great for a laugh and a lift of spirits.  Of course a visit from Kathleen, complete with designer shoes is always fun!

Next our best man, Robb, called.  He was headed to Provincetown for a work project and stopped in with flowers on his way back up Cape.  Short lunch visit at the kitchen table where I'd already started watching Freaks & Geeks while eating some yummy soup from Joan.  Feeling pretty good by now.

Climbing back into bed to rest around 1:20 when Anne and her daughter stopped by with a purple plant and my new business cards...with my Boston address!!!!  Yes, we can now meet at One Post Office Square Boston  in my brother's new office space.  www.bostonoffices.com

By Wednesday, I was ready to try resistance again.  And I went to the office for a few hours to check emails.  Also started riding the exercise bike for two 7 minute intervals.  And, of course, more snow.

Thursday was a snow day and my period finally started.  Stayed in doors, snuggled and read William Trevor's  novel Love and Summer.  Thumbs up!

Friday, more Freaks & Geeks, a short trip to the office, and some effort to organize at home between rest and PT exercises.  Garrison coaching me all week long, helping to hold the resistance band or counting along at my side.

Saturday, may have overdone it.  Trip to the toy store for Lego Ninjago starter set...hot toy for young boy.  Some clothes shopping at winter sale in town.  Tried to catch the Parkington Sisters, but it was standing room only....Listen to Cool Tunes By Parkington Sisters  Then off to the PTC Winter Ball for a couple of hours.  Probably too much walking, standing, sitting...don't know, but knee is really acting up...

We'll see what this week brings...thanks for listening and I'll try to post more regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment